Science writer and editor… solutions journalist…pragmatic idealist
I am a freelance science writer and editor with a master’s degree in science writing from Johns Hopkins University. My emphasis is on solutions-focused stories about climate, the environment, and health. My stories have appeared in Undark, Vox, Knowable, and The Scientist, among others.
This way to science-based solutions stories. Subscribe to my newsletter, The Pragmatic Idealist.SUBSCRIBE
- Road Salt is Imperiling Aquatic Ecosystems. It Doesn’t Have To. (2021, March 11). Undark.
- San Antonio Finds the Key to Flood Control in its Gardens. (2019, December 23). Southwest Dispatch.
- Why You Want Oysters and a Salt Marsh Between You and a Hurricane. (2019, June 3). Vox.
- We Need to Change the Way We Talk About GMOs. (2018, October 4). Undark.
- USDA Unveils New Gene-Stacking Tool to Prevent Plant Diseases. (2018, August 14). The Scientist.
- Could Rapamycin Help Humans Live Longer? (2018, March 1). The Scientist.
- The Pragmatic Idealist: Science-based solutions stories via newsletter every two weeks.
- Tight Junction Function and the Immune System: Why your “can’t eat” list keeps growing. (2018, March 15). Celiac.com.
- Contracted Writer, Swedish Digestive Health Institute, Seattle. Writing stories for the hospital system’s internal physician newsletter. 2020-present.
- Snowshoeing and Other Endangered Activities. (2021, January 15). Flyway Journal.
- Searching High and Low for the Origins of Life. (2020, July 21). Knowable Magazine.
- Neurons Simplify Visual Signals by Responding to Only One Retina. (2021, October 1). The Scientist.
- Human “Time Cells” Encode, Process Flow of Time. (2021, October 1). The Scientist.
- Contracted Editor for Johns Hopkins University’s Editorial Assistance Services Initiative (EASI), supporting research faculty in preparing manuscripts for publication and grant proposals for submission. 2021 to present.
- Quality Control Editor and Team Leader for the Ask a Scientist portal hosted by the Federation of American Scientists. Edited hundreds of scientific responses to be sure they were lay-friendly, clear, and well-documented. Volunteer role, 2020-2021.
- Ecological Sustainability, published in 2013 by CRC Press. Includes a chapter on sustainable agriculture. Co-author and pre-submission editor.
- Introduction to Molecular Biology, Genomics, and Proteomics for Biomedical Engineers, published in 2008 by CRC Press. Co-author and pre-submission editor.