Science writer… systems thinker… pragmatic idealist
I am a science writer with a background in ecosystems theory and genomics. My current focus is on climate resilience and other forms of adaptation. My articles have been published in Undark, Vox, Knowable, and The Scientist, among others. I have been writing about science for over fifteen years, including my textbooks. I constantly seek new ways to reach audiences about science, and may be the only science journalist to have performed musical comedy about CRISPR at the Bright Club in Dublin, Ireland.
I hold a master’s degree in science writing from Johns Hopkins University. I am working as an independent contractor, and am open to steady part-time remote work.
Adaptation takes many forms. One of the most pressing of these is climate resilience. Science has an important role to play in helping humans—and the natural world—adapt to a warming climate.
- San Antonio Finds the Key to Flood Control in its Gardens. (2019, December 23). Southwest Dispatch.
- Why You Want Oysters and a Salt Marsh Between You and a Hurricane. (2019, June 3). Vox.
- Ecological Sustainability, published in 2013 by CRC Press. Includes a chapter on sustainable agriculture. Co-author.
Genomics and Adaptation
Humans must also adapt to personal changes such as aging and disease. Resilience also encompasses genomic solutions to help our food sources adapt to a changing climate. Our species has survived for millennia through its resilience and ingenuity, and there is hope in science-based solutions.
- We Need to Change the Way We Talk About GMOs. (2018, October 4). Undark.
- USDA Unveils New Gene-Stacking Tool to Prevent Plant Diseases. (2018, August 14). The Scientist.
- Introduction to Molecular Biology, Genomics and Proteomics for Biomedical Engineers, published in 2008 by CRC Press. Co-author.
Health and Healthcare
- Tight Junction Function and the Immune System: Why your “can’t eat” list keeps growing. (2018, March 15). Celiac.com.
- Could Rapamycin Help Humans Live Longer? (2018, March 1). The Scientist.
- Volunteer, Federation of American Scientists Ask a Scientist tool for the COVID-19 crisis. Edited hundreds of responses to ensure they were lay-friendly, clear, and well-documented.
- Searching High and Low for the Origins of Life. (2020, July 21). Knowable Magazine.
Memberships and Affiliations
- National Association of Science Writers
- Southwest Science Writers Association
- Solutions Journalism Network
- Authors’ Guild
- American Academy for the Advancement of Science